Sunday, October 6, 2013

Is media taking over our lives?

     Have you ever thought about how much of our lives we spend on our phones/ social media or how much we actually depend on things like twitter to tell us if there is a snow day or something like that?
I know i'm totally guilty of being basically obsessed with my phone and keeping all of my social media up to date. But honestly, there are so many things we could be doing.
     Almost every morning I wake up, instantly grab my phone, then lay in bed and catch up on everything I missed in that eight-ish hours I was asleep. I stay on my phone, in bed, for atleast fifteen minutes after i'm supposed to get out of bed then I complain that I am running late EVERY SINGLE MORNING. I'll bet you, and I know i'm not the only one who does this, that if I just got up and left the phone alone until I was all ready for school I would have time to get everything done and maybe even eat some breakfast.
     Another thing is that personally I find out so much things from the internet that I could easily find myself but i'm to lazy too and it's right in my palm. Half of the time I probably wouldn't even know the weather but I do simply because I can either look at my weather app or look on twitter because I gaurantee someone has tweeted about it.
     Also, snow days. Literally everyday in the Winter that I know it snowed/ is snowing I go straight to twitter first to see if anyone has tweeted about a snow day or delay, and again, I know i'm not the only one because I always see tweets like " LOL wouldn't of known about this snowday if it wasnt for twitter."
     But also, not having a phone or any access to the media is the best most relaxing thing ever, sure you may feel out of the loop at the time but in the long run it's probably for the better. Every summer I spend weeks at a Summer Camp and phones aren't aloud and it's awesome cause all your attention can be on what you are doing and not what everyone else is doing and you are " forced" to have face to face interaction.
     I feel that our generation is so dependent and obsessed with media and the newest technology and sometimes we may just need to take a break.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you Emma. We are very dependent on technology nowadays. I mean, look at what we are using now in classes and all. Many of us could'nt go a day without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you. I think that the media has had a big impact on me. I think that now a days the media is what people defined their self as and how they want to look or acted. I agree with you that everyone is always on their phones and not really paying attention and acting as if they are in their own world. I think that sometime we need to step back and notices all the good things we have in life and understand that it will all be gone some day and we should take an advantage of it and not keep out heads down look at our phones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say that I agree with you. If it weren't for the fact that I am forced to leave my phone in the living room when I go to sleep I'd spend the entire night on it. If there is any way that this generation gets it's information, it's by technology, I mean how many of us actually read a newspaper anymore? Not very many at all, and I'm glad that you're writing about a topic that we can all see is a problem, but we still do what we do anyway. Do you think that we are addicted to todays technology?

    ReplyDelete